Kindergarten Registration FAQ

My child won’t turn 5 until the summer—should I wait to begin the enrollment process until after her birthday? No, as long as the 5th birthday is before September 30, you can enroll your child now.  Registering early helps the school make appropriate plans for the number of students, teachers, and classrooms that will be needed in the fall. 

Our appointment for immunizations isn’t scheduled until the summer.  Should I wait to begin the enrollment process until his/her immunizations are up to date?  Immunization records do not have to be complete or up to date to ENROLL your child in kindergarten. Your child just needs to have all required immunizations when they START kindergarten in August.  You may enroll your kindergartner by bringing in the incomplete immunization record and then submit the updated immunization record once he/she gets his/her shots before the start of school.

I am planning to move into your school’s boundaries over the summer.  Should I wait to enroll my child in kindergarten until we move?  No.  Go ahead and get the process started now.  After you have moved, bring your proof of residency to the school office so that we can update your registration information.

Our home is in another school’s boundaries, but I want my child to attend Lemon Road instead.  How can I get a transfer?  Lemon Road is currently closed to all transfers due to capacity.  For more information, visit

My child turns 5 years old on October 1.  Can I make a special request for him to start kindergarten this year? 
Per Policy 2202, “Admissions, Residency, and Attendance—Eligibility for Enrollment”, Fairfax County Public Schools shall be free to each Fairfax County resident whose fifth (5th) birthday falls on or before September 30 of the school year.”  Therefore, a child with a birthdate of October 1, 2017, or later would not be eligible for kindergarten in
the 2022–2023 school year.

What documents are required to enroll my child in kindergarten?

  • An original state issued birth certificate (no photocopies or hospital certificates)
  • Original deed or lease to your residence
  • Parent/Guardian valid photo ID
  • Any legal documents pertaining to the student (custody papers, guardianship documents, ex parte orders, etc.)
  • Immunization records
  • FCPS registration forms found at

Do I have to be present to complete my child’s kindergarten enrollment or can I send his/her stepparent, grandparent, etc., to your office to turn in the required documents?  The child’s parent/legal guardian must be present to enroll the student.

Does my child need to come with me to Lemon Road to register for kindergarten?  No.  A kindergarten registration appointment consists of paperwork submission and review only, and the appointments generally take 10 – 15 minutes.

I cannot find my child’s birth certificate.  Where can I get one?  For a certified copy of your birth certificate, contact the vital records office in the state where he/she was born for instructions on how to request a copy and get information on any fees.

When is kindergarten orientation?  Parents and their rising kindergarteners are invited to a springtime orientation on Thursday, March 31, 2022, at the school. 

Should my child attend kindergarten orientation?  Yes!  This is a great opportunity for him/her to see the school, meet the principal and assistant principal, meet the kindergarten teachers, and see the kindergarten classrooms.

Will I know who my child’s teacher is when we attend Kindergarten Open House?  No, unfortunately, we will not have teacher assignments decided until a few days before school starts.

When/Where can I apply for free/reduced lunch?  Applications for free/reduced meals for the 2019 – 2020 school year will not be available until July.  At that time, check the FCPS Free and Reduced Meals site for the online application.   Paper forms will also be available and can be picked up in the Lemon Road office in July.

When will I find out my child’s bus information?  Postcards and emails are sent right before school starts, so be watching for that information in the days right before school starts.