Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.Message from Mrs. Castillo
Thank you parents and guardians for joining Back to School Night! We enjoyed sharing our classrooms, curriculum, specials, and school with you. Be on the lookout for a sign up for Parent/Teacher Conferences in the next few weeks. Teachers usually hold them mid-October through early-November. Several parents asked about the FCPS/VA curriculum taught in the classes. While it doesn’t go into how we teach, parents may appreciate checking out the family-facing curriculum.
Some of the pictures highlight the garden clean up event lead by Mrs. Busch after school on Wednesday, strings with Ms. Su, the bus evacuation drill, and the assembly brought to us by our amazing PTA!
Enjoy the fall weather this weekend and we look forward to another great week of learning starting Monday!SCA Officer Elections
Parents of 5th and 6th graders: Is your child interested in a leadership role? Applications are being accepted for 5th and 6th grade students that want to run for Student Council Positions: President (grade 6 only), Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Historian. Find the link to the application, more information, and all relevant deadlines on the LRES Schoology page. The application deadline is this Monday, September 18th.LRES PTA Updates
We hope everyone had fun at BTS night - thanks for stopping by the PTA table!
- Our First PTA meeting of the year will be on September 20th @6:30pm at the school. Childcare for school aged children will be provided along with light snacks. This month's topics will include getting to know your PTA board, Principal & Assistant Principal and an update on Student Rights & Responsibilities and the VGA tests.
- Fall Spiritwear Sale is now open - our beautiful new range of Lemon Road Spiritwear for adults and children is available now! The store will be open until Sep 25th so be sure to place your order in time! Click here to start shopping: https://spirithero.com/collections/lemon-1?page=2
- Announcing our First Restaurant night of the year - Sep 20th & 21st @ Ledo's pizza. Eat in or take out, just mention Lemon Road when ordering! Take the night off cooking and support the PTA at the same time.
- It's time to join the PTA! Big thanks to all 218 Lemon Road community members who have already joined! Being a member is NOT a commitment to volunteering your time, though we of course welcome and are grateful for all those who are able to volunteer and help with events throughout the year! To join the PTA & show your support click here: https://lemonroad.memberhub.com/store?limit=21&live=true
This week, we will focus during morning meetings, closing circles, and time together in being present. When I’m with other people, I’m present and give them my full attention. This element of the Other People Mindset is so important today due to the increasing number of distractions vying for our time and attention. Phone calls, text messages, emails, and social media notifications all have the dangerous capacity to pull us away from the present moment and what’s most important – our relationships with other people.Substance Abuse Prevention Specialist (SAPS) Introduction
Each pyramid has a Substance Abuse Prevention Specialist (SAPS) to provide substance abuse prevention, education, and intervention services. SAPS are part of the FCPS Office of Student Safety and Wellness. Like school social workers, school psychologists, and school counselors, we do not provide treatment services, but we support students while they are in the buildings.
Key roles of a Substance Abuse Prevention Specialist:
- Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug education for students, parents, staff, and the Fairfax County Community
- Intervention services upon violation of the Student Rights and Responsibilities handbook or suspected substance use involvement
- Assessing a student’s level of substance use and, if appropriate, making referrals to the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board for additional services or other community resources as appropriate
- Interventions for students and in addition prevention services for students, staff, parents, and the Fairfax County community
- Most importantly, building positive relationships with students to provide support and encouragement
Free Online Narcan Training for Opioid Overdoses (English & Spanish)
For general questions about the FCPS Substance Abuse Prevention Program, please contact the Office of Student Safety & Wellness at: (571) 423-4270.
For further Information & support:
Ally Jacobi, MSW [email protected] Substance Abuse Prevention SpecialistHispanic Heritage Month
From September 15th to October 15th, FCPS recognizes and celebrates the histories and cultures of the members of our community who trace their heritage to Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. Learn more about the heritage months, celebrations, and traditions celebrated in FCPS. Learn more about National Hispanic Heritage Month.
Fairfax County's inaugural Hispanic Heritage Celebration, the Fairfax Fiesta, is taking place on Saturday, Sept. 23rd, from noon to 5 p.m., at the PARC at Tysons (8508 Leesburg Pike). The free event, presented by the Fairfax County Government and Celebrate Fairfax!, aims to provide an extraordinary experience for all ages and backgrounds. Learn more about Fairfax Fiesta.Attention 5th & 6th Graders
TJ Investigative Science Outreach, a student-led organization at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, is hosting their 11th annual science fair on March 16, 2024 and would like to invite 5th-8th grade students from your school to participate. Admission to the science fair is completely free.
Participants will complete a research project of their choice and present at the fair in-person on March 16, 2024. TJ Investigative Science Outreach will help students prepare for this fair by holding multiple sessions to teach them important skills in STEM like brainstorming, collecting data, presenting, writing an experiment summary, using statistics, creating an experimental diagram, etc.
The first interest/brainstorming session is Friday October 6th, 2023 at 6:00 pm. at TJHSST. During this session they will go over the goals and guidelines of the fair and introduce students to a multitude of project ideas. All interested students should sign up using the form.Upcoming Important Dates
Monday, September 18: A Week
Wednesday, September 20: Grades 3 & 5 VGA Reading Assessments; PTA General Meeting (6:30 PM); Ledo’s Pizza Restaurant Night
Thursday, September 21: Grades 4 & 6 VGA Reading Assessments; Therapy Dog Visit to LRES; Ledo’s Pizza Restaurant Night
Friday, September 22: Polo Day; Kindergarten Quarter 1 Family Engagement Event (1 PM)
Monday, September 25: Yom Kippur (Schools are Closed); B Week
Tuesday, September 26: Advanced Academics Levels of Service Meeting
Wednesday, September 27: Grade 3 & 5 VGA Math
Thursday, September 28: Grade 4 & 6 VGA Math
Friday, September 29: Freaky Friday (Theme: Lemons vs. Lions); Fall PTA Movie Night (6:30 PM on the blacktop)
7230 Idylwood Road, Falls Church, VA 22043 | Main Phone: 703-714-6400