Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.Message from Mrs. Castillo
Thank you for making the past week special - the PTA, parents, students, and teachers made Ms. Ulsh and feel so appreciated to be a part of the Lemon Road community! We welcomed visitors from the ESOL Office, received puppy snuggles from our monthly therapy dogs, showcased POG learning with School Board Representative Elaine Tholen, held our PTA meeting, ate at Bolay Kitchen, celebrated January birthdays in pajamas, and played at BINGO Night. Each of these events remind me what an inclusive, welcoming, and engaged school we lead.
Next week wraps up the final days of the 2nd quarter! We can’t believe we are already halfway through the 22-23 school year. As a reminder, we have an unusual schedule this week:
- Wednesday - Early Release Day - Dismissal 12:55
- Thursday - District-wide Professional Development Day for Teachers. There is no school for students. Teachers will be involved in a variety of workshops around FCPS specific to their content area.
- Friday - Teacher Workday. There is no school for students. Teachers will be completing Q2 grades and planning for the third quarter.
Our staff is also busy preparing the yearbook. Parents may order the 2022 - 2023 yearbook from Lifetouch online. Click this link and use the Lemon Road code: Yearbook ID: 12302523
Finally, a big thank you to the families who continue to drop off snacks & drinks for the staff. It is a huge lift to have something to grab and enjoy each Friday. We appreciate any donations, just drop them off in the office! Have a great week!PTA Updates
Thank you to everyone who attended the PTA meeting and the Bingo Night - we hope you all had fun! And huge thanks to all the volunteers across our community who helped to make the events happen, we truly do appreciate your time and support!
- The slide show from the PTA meeting including the information on Summer Camps is available on MemberHub for all PTA members - please contact us direct at [email protected] if you are having any difficulties accessing it.
- In February we will be delivering the "Smart Talk" as part of Lemon Road's Portrait of a Graduate night - more information will be coming out soon but please contact us if you are interested in supporting this project!
- Committees for the following events are now being formed - please contact us at [email protected] if you would like to support or be involved!
- Smart Talk Grant (February) - digital use and wellness
- Basketball Game (March)
- Spring Fair (April)
- Staff Appreciation Week (May)
Message from Kilmer Middle School PTA President
Dear Parents of Rising 7th Graders
It’s not too early to welcome you to Kilmer Middle School - we are nearly there! What a milestone! I am the parent of a rising 8th and 10 grader myself and I appreciate these transitions can be an emotional time for all - please don’t worry- we at Kilmer are here to help you and your students navigate it with ease and comfort .
The Kilmer PTA is currently looking for a VP for the board for the 2023-2024 school year. We would like to encourage any rising 7th grade parents who are interested to get in touch and discuss how they can support the PTA whilst fitting it to their schedule.
The VP role (for the 2023-2024 school year) involves shadowing the President and then assuming the role of president for the following school year. This helps to make the transition process smooth as they will have already navigated their way through an entire school year with the support of the then President.
Kindly email us at [email protected] if you are interested in this role or if you have any other questions about the PTA at Kilmer - we are here to help!
Many thanks for your consideration,
In case you missed it in FCPS This Week, the school division shared updates on the following topics:
- FY 2024 Budget Highlights
- Draft School Year Calendar Options
- FAFSA Help
Read FCPS This Week to learn more about these topics. If you are not already receiving the weekly newsletter, sign up today.Positivity Project: Social Intelligence
This week, students will learn and discuss the character strength of social intelligence. This means you are aware of other people’s thoughts and feelings. You understand why they do things. Social intelligence refers to a person’s ability to understand and manage interpersonal relationships. It is distinct from a person’s IQ or “book smarts.” It includes an individual’s ability to understand, and act on, the feelings, thoughts, and behaviors of other people. This type of intelligence can take place “in the moment” of face-to-face conversations but also appears during times of deliberate thinking.Upcoming Important Dates
- Monday, January 23: A Week
- Tuesday, January 24: Full Band Rehearsal Grades 5 & 6 (8:25)
- Wednesday, January 25: End of Quarter 2; 2-Hour Early Release; Mentor/Mentee Winter Celebration (12:55)
- Thursday, January 26: County-Wide Staff Development Day; No School
- Friday, January 27: Teacher Work Day; No School
- Monday, January 30: B Week
- Wednesday, February 1: Full Band Rehearsal (8:25)
- Thursday, February 2: Marshall Pyramid Drug & Alcohol Presentation
- Friday, February 3: Navy & Yellow Spirit Day; Grade 6 Volleyball Tournament
- Thursday, February 9: Winter Band/Strings/Chorus Evening Concert
- Friday, February 10: Winter Band/Strings/Chorus Daytime Concert
- Thursday, February 23: POG Night
- Friday, March 24: LRES Staff Basketball Game @ Marshall HS
- Saturday, April 22: LRES/PTA Spring Fair
FCPS School Year Calendar for 2022-23
7230 Idylwood Road, Falls Church, VA 22043 | Main Phone: 703.714.6400